What are the different forms of chai tea?
The traditional masala chai is a spicy blend usually made from black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ginger. These spices are boiled in milk. Then you can add sugar according to your taste. We have our own recipe, adding a touch of honey to our mix to create a "sticky" chai. Honey is not only a sweetener but it is also a natural preservative - it also helps to avoid 'untangling', so every cup of chai latte tea has an equivalent blend (whether it's the beginning or the end. end of package).
There are several modes / formats of chai teas. First, the loose leaves, called loose chai tea, embellished with spices. Then, the chai teas in sachet , whose material varies depending on the brand, so can be accompanied by a small cotton string. Finally, the powdered chai tea, instant , which essentially allows you to prepare chai latte. Some only buy loose chai tea and others choose their bagged chai tea. They will tell you that "it's easier". The first will say that loose chai tea tastes much better, that we see what we drink, unlike the tea bag, where we can sometimes have surprises!
Depending on how you consume tea in general and chai tea in particular: at home, at work, in the morning at breakfast, after lunch, on a break in in the afternoon, at the weekend at home, alone or with family / friends, you will choose the most suitable form. The consumption of your chai or chai latte tea will be different depending on where you are tasting it (at work, at home, on the go). It may also vary according to your interest in the taste of good chai tea, the ritual, the taste qualities offered by the tea or even by ecological concerns, environmental impact.
Chai tea bag @Pinterest
1. The chai tea bag: for the more mobile and in a hurry
The s purchased tea represents nearly 75% of tea consumption, one of the most widely used formats in the world. Its main asset: its practical aspect because it is easy to transport and simple to infuse / use. Indeed, it was quite simple and easy to take your chai tea bags in your bag and enjoy a chai tea or chai latte at the office after lunch or in the afternoon. It is steeped directly and quickly in a cup of hot water (or with a dash of milk). Its main strength lies in its "speed to prepare": the dose is already ready to infuse. It is also easy to use: just throw the sachet away after use. The arrival of tea boxes (the tea box, the enchanted box for example) and tea boxes from different brands brings another advantage: the diversity of choice. Indeed these boxes / boxes allow you to vary the tastes and thus discover new chai teas, blends and new experiences, taste discoveries every day.
The main disadvantages of chai tea bags are:
- The quality of chai tea bags often leaves something to be desired. This is because the s tea bags are mainly made from small pieces of black tea leaves, black tea dust or shoddy whole leaves . The most obvious difference between whole leaf black tea and tea bags is the size and shape of the leaf. Black tea leaves contain aromatic compounds (tannins, essential oils) which provide aroma, body and flavors. Just as coffee beans lose their freshness after roasting, when black tea leaves are cut into small pieces, they lose their compounds and dry out very quickly. Chai tea bags can also contain a mixture of different teas which in some cases can be artificially flavored.
When you brew a bag of tea é chaï, the infusion is limited by the size and shape of the sachet. The tea industry fills tea bags with smaller (broken) tea particles, so that the surface area increases and rapid brewing becomes possible. This makes the process quite easy and inexpensive for a cup of tea.
- L 'environmental impact of the bags : the chai tea in bags is not recycled and still has components that are not biodegradable: staples, glue ... Tea is the second most drunk drink in the world after water, i imagine the number of tea bags thrown in the trash every day in the world. The components of the tea bag can take a long time to disappear in nature: the cord between 3 to 14 months, the staple between 200 and 400 years, the plastic that surrounds the tea can around 400 years. P armi those who are recyclable, very few make the effort to recycle them.
Fortunately, some brands producing chai tea bags have worked on their product to offer a taste experience similar to loose chai tea. More recently, tea companies have come up with larger sachets with higher quality black tea leaves, to allow the leaves to expand thus creating a better brew. Awareness of our environmental impact, changes in consumption patterns, which are more respectful of the environment, as well as the emergence of zero waste movements have pushed many brands to transform their packaging or have decided to choose an eco positioning. -responsible. There are initiatives around the production of the tea bag, to make it more eco-friendly. Each element of the bag can be worked to reduce the environmental impact while preserving the aromas of chai tea. Gabee Tea has not yet developed its tea bags (in reflection). But we would like these sachets to meet these specifications (if that was the case).
the bag in which the tea is: favor the classic paper bag and its compostable version or the bags made of 100% biodegradable corn starch
- the cord : cotton, tied between the label and the bag, no glue or staple
the label: also tied, printed with biodegradable (compostable) inks
individual freshness packaging : deleted
the tea box : recyclable cardboard with vegetable prints, biodegradable (compostable) inks
the overpack: deleted
Ecological and made in France , an attractive asset.
Despite innovations in tea bags, many of us stick with loose chai tea instead of the tea bag option. Indeed, the taste experience of chai tea and the preparation of chai latte remains much better with loose tea and its whole leaves.
2. Loose tea, p Why prefer loose chai tea rather than in bags?
- The economic aspect: the chai tea in a bag requires the step of bagging and adding additional materials (the bag, the cord, the label, packaging ...). These two elements: labor and materials constitute an additional economic cost and have an impact on the planet. This makes the cost per cup of loose chai tea more advantageous and economical.
- The taste aspect : loose chai tea is only made up of whole and quality tea leaves which deliver all their aromas. This gives loose chai tea a better flavor. Despite all the innovations in tea bags, nothing can beat the fresh taste and aroma of chai tea and chai latte made from loose leaf black tea and mixed with spices. The recipe for chaï Gabee tea is even more delicious, the honey brings sweetness and helps to preserve the aromas of tea and spices.
- The visual aspect / the ritual: chai tea is more than just a drink, it is a ritual in which we can slow down and reflect . We know that many Gabee Tea chai tea and chai latte lovers not only love the The taste and aroma of our chai, but also the time they take to prepare it. The whole experience counts! We can admire the beauty of the product during its infusion when it is in bulk. And above all, you can put more easily the amount of tea you want, whether you are preparing a cup of chai tea, or a chai latte for several friends or family. This allows you to share a moment of conviviality.
- The ecological aspect: the chai tea in loose is compostable contrary rement in the tea bag which will not dissolve in nature for a few years. Gabee Tea has an artisanal approach that responds to current consumption patterns. More and more of us favor local production, local artisans and businesses, the same goes for chai tea and chai latte. We don't just want to consume standardized products and want to know more about our environmental impact through the choice of our consumption of certain products.
At Gabee Tea we have created our first loose chai tea candied in honey. We wanted to use blends made from whole leaf Assam black tea, not tea bags. Buy the chaï tea Gabee Tea means choosing responsible consumption and supporting local artisans. It is obvious that the production of tea and spices is not local: France does not have the right climate and land. On the other hand, all the ingredients are from organic farming. At Gabee Tea we carefully select our partners, we have fair contracts with respect for all. Our honey, meanwhile, comes from a local producer located in the South of France. We are also sensitive to the protection of bees (which produce our delicious honey) and support associations for the protection of hives and bees. We were keen to offer you a blend of loose tea and whole spices, candied in honey, for taste, quality and ecological reasons. With chaï Gabee Tea, your chaï latte preparations will have a better spice / sugar balance. Discover our article on our homemade chaï latte recipe
You have certainly noticed that some brands offer chai tea powder, soluble, instant, such as coffee. This is a tea concept that makes making chai lattes quick and easy, even when traveling. Chai latte powders are usually made with spices, vanilla extract, coconut sugar and powdered milk. The s instant teas c hated are easy to prepare and transport . Just just add hot water or milk and it's ready ! On the other hand, you have no control over the mixtures. They are often mixed with artificial sweeteners and preservatives to extend their shelf life. They tend to be much sweeter than a traditional chai and can sometimes turn out to be too sweet. Which one do you choose? Chai tea in a bag? A sweet chai powder? or the original blend of natural spices and black tea? Our chaï Gabee Tea is made from natural ingredients, without additives or preservatives